Work on projects that make a difference! Sage Bionetworks (www.sagebase.org) is a leading nonprofit biomedical research organization dedicated to improving patient outcomes and furthering our understanding of human diseases. We focus on integrating diverse clinical, genomic, imaging, and real-time sensor data to better predict disease progression and response to interventions.
The technology platform team at Sage is developing a system called Synapse to support open data-driven biomedical research, and serve as a public resource for the scientific community. This platform has already been used to support a number of high profile scientific studies in oncology, neurodegenerative, neuropsychological, and other disease areas.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Versatile and strong programming skills:
- Expert-level Java experience is a strict requirement for the position.
- Experience with Java frameworks and open source technologies, especially Spring
- Ability to interface with scientific programming in Python and/or R
- Strong understanding of object oriented design and programming, and design patterns
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other team members on n-tier architecture and REST API development.
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting software in production environments
- Practical agile development lifecycle experience. Familiarity with software development tools including Eclipse, Jira Studio, Maven, GitHub etc.
- Commitment to test-driven development, and rapid, automated release cycles
- Strong verbal, written, and organizational skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment
- Experience with one or more of the following desirable:
- SaaS architectures that leverage commercial IaaS platforms, especially AWS or Google
- Bioinformatics / genomics / biomedical data and use cases
- Open source software development
About the Team
Sage was founded in 2009 as a non-profit spinoff from Rosetta Inpharmatics (Merck) to pioneer open approaches to advancing biomedical research. We are based in Seattle, US and collaborate broadly throughout the world.
- 12 person professional software engineering team embedded in a 40 person research institute with world class experts in genomics, bioinformatics, statistics, and computational biology
- Entrepreneurial environment and freedom to rapidly develop technological solutions to complex problems
- Emphasis on test-driven development, continuous builds, and rapid automated deployments
- Collaborative environment with emphasis on creating clean, well-structured code
Sage offers a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits, to bring the right talent to the team. To apply, please forward your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com.