Sage Bionetworks is recruiting for an individual to develop engaging ways to visually interact with large public biomedical research results on the web. Sage is a Seattle, WA based non-profit research organization that seeks to develop predictors of disease and accelerate health research through the creation of open systems, incentives, and standards. We create strategies and platforms that empower researchers to share and interpret data on a colossal scale, crowdsource tests for new hypotheses, and contribute to knowledge through community challenges.
We work collaboratively with academic researchers around the world to perform their research and share their data and results. A number of our collaborations have generated large, heterogeneous, publicly available data sets in the fields of neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. To increase accessibility to these complex datasets, we are seeking to develop engaging ways to visually interact with these biomedical research results on the web. You would be joining a team of computational scientists, software engineers, and data scientists to help communicate scientific results and provide intuitive interaction with the underlying data to engage users with open and collaborative science research.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Develop and maintain compelling and visually appealing interactive visualizations for public consumption
- Work with Sage Bionetworks research scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, and external researchers
- Work with the Sage Bionetworks engineering team to design and test features
- Work with data curators and engineers to design backend data stores
- Stay current with developments and innovation in data visualization techniques
- Establish visual appeal and performance of the tools
- Manage and document all code in a versioning system (Git)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and 1+ years of experience
- Understanding of design patterns such as MVC/MVP
- Demonstrated understanding of data visualization principles and user experience
- Experience visualizing large, heterogeneous datasets
- Desire to understand and promote open and collaborative scientific research
- An understanding of scientific research and statistical analysis
- Experience working and communicating effectively with academic and scientific researchers
- Experience designing data stores for real time querying of data
- Knowledge of version control systems like Git
- Experience interacting with and implementing APIs (REST)
- Experience determining appropriate chart and plot types for compelling information display
- Experience with cross-browser development
- Python or R scripting
- Experience with data storytelling
About Sage Bionetworks
Sage Bionetworks, http://www.sagebase.org, is Seattle Washington based non-profit organization dedicated to advancing biomedical research through the implementation of reproducible, open science. Using cutting edge machine-learning methodologies in collaboration with scientists around the world, we build robust computational models of disease-related phenotypes through integrative analysis of large-scale genomic, imaging, and mHealth data sets. To enhance collaborative efforts, we leverage a compute platform (www.synapse.org) for sharing research insights in a transparent, reproducible fashion.
Sage Bionetworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package, including relocation benefits to bring the right talent to our team.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com.